Executive Director, Watson Children's Shelter (WCS)
The Executive Director will work with the board, staff, media, community organizations, granting institutions and the general public. Communication is a critical component of this position. The ED will be intimately involved with the strategic long range plans, mission and programing for children. Additionally the ED will need to be able to comply with all governmental regulations, corporation policies and adherence to WCS policies and procedures prohibiting abuse, neglect or exploitation of children.
The ideal candidate will have a record of successes in like endeavors. We need a candidate that is a strong, empathic, capable leader. The ED is charged with promoting and protecting the positive image of WCS. The ED will also oversee several positions- the Healthy Foundations Director and Director of Finance and Administration, the Shelter Program Director and the Development Director. The Executive Director will collaborate with the Board and related committees, with the Program Directors, Development Director, Director of Finance and Administration.
1. Three years related experience in management, supervision of employees, budget preparation, financials, fundraising, grant writing and public relations.
2. Minimum three years experience working with prevention, children and child-related programs, including children with special needs, e.g. severe emotional disturbances, cognitively or developmentally delayed, etc.
3. Bachelor’s degree in related field. Master’s degree in related field is preferred.
4. Experience with public or private non-profit corporations is preferred.
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
6. Three strong and relevant professional references, only one of which may be from a WCS employee or Board member.
7. Successfully pass pre-employment screening through the Department of Public Health and Human Services and the Montana Department of Justice.
8. Must meet minimum age requirements imposed by the Department of Public Health and Human Services and by the WCS’s vehicle-insurance carrier.
1. Service Delivery
a. Oversee all service planning, implementation and development for children as executed by the Shelter and Healthy Foundations Program Directors. Includes evaluating and recommending changes in the service-delivery systems and assuring a safe and secure physical and health environment.
b. Oversee and maintain ongoing compliance with all licensing standards in the Shelter and Healthy Foundations Program in collaboration with Shelter Program Director and Healthy Foundations Program Director.
c. Assist and supervise the Director of Finance and Administration concerning service enrollments and numbers, occupancy and billing information, financials and bookkeeping, payroll, routine and special reports (internal and external), and other, related, special assignments as they arise.
a. Ensure compliance with guidelines in the recruitment and hiring of personnel for Watson Children’s Shelter and its Healthy Foundations program.
b. Provide supervision of Shelter care and Healthy Foundations Program Directors, Director of Finance and Administration, and Development Director. This includes orientation and assignment of duties clarification – and any needed re-clarification – of job descriptions and assigned tasks, observation and feedback, evaluation, training, disciplinary actions, and other supervision and support activities.
a. Collaborate with the Shelter care and Healthy Foundations Directors and Director of Finance and Administration regarding the development and monitoring of budgets. Adhere to budget guidelines as established by the WCS and Board of Directors, and provide like-guidelines to Shelter and Healthy Foundations staff.
b. Collaborate with the Development Director, and Board of Directors to identify and pursue community donations and grant funding including marketing the organization to the public, cultivating relationships with donors, and assisting in coordination and implementation of fundraising events.
c. Evaluate and approve all important child, program, and supply needs in a timely and effective manner. This can include such things as basic care needs, transportation needs, supplies or activity expense requests, building or equipment repairs or purchase requests, etc.
d. Develop and implement systems of personnel recruitment and management, service delivery, evaluation, and collaboration, working with and reporting to the Board of Directors, donations, fund-raising, and community relations, and other areas of WCS operations.
Please submit a cover letter with salary requirements and a resume. Thank you!